is an association of university chief executives from higher education institutions around the world. Membership is limited to those individuals who serve as presidents, rectors or vice-chancellors at regionally accredited colleges or universities.
IAUP had its foundational Triennial Conference in 1965 and has continued to strive for excellence in the following:
- To increase the exchange of experiences, levels of collaboration and networking between university leaders.
- To provide a well informed forum for university leaders throughout the world.
- To contribute to a worldwide vision of higher education.
- To strengthen the international mission of institutions throughout the world.
- To make every effort for the voice of educational leaders to be heard.
- To support sustainable development in a context of global competency.
- To promote peace and international understanding through education.
IAUP is a NGO (Non Governmental Organization) holding the highest (ECOSOC) consultation rights at the United Nations and formal consultation rights with UNESCO.